For sensational summer vintage fashion, you must check out (no, really you MUST) Deborah Lindquist, one of LA's most well respected and sought after environmentally conscious designers. I am really impressed with Deborah's collections. Embracing vintage clothing avoids contributing yet more waste to already overflowing landfill sites. For that reason, I wholly applaud vintage and recycled fashion.
According to WRAP, in the UK alone over one million tonnes of textiles are discarded every year. Opting for vintage and recycled fashion goes some way towards correcting our throw away culture (although there are many other areas to consider and still a very long way to go).
For her designs, Deborah uses a combination of recycled cashmere, repurposed kimonos and saris, vintage silk scarves and sustainable materials, including: hemp, organic cotton and organic wool. As a Vegan I stay away from cashmere, silk and wool, but wearing vintage is better than buying new items made from these materials, which would otherwise be binned.
Deborah Lindquist has an A-list following including the likes of: Sharon Stone, Gwen Stefani, Demi Moore and Charlize Theron and produces stunning garments that leave smaller imprints on the planet than mainstream fashion items. Trained at the Parsons School of Design, New York City, Deborah's avant-garde fashion has featured in a range of prominent publications such as: InStyle, Lucky Magazine, People and GenLux. It is hard for me to pick favourites, but somehow I have managed, so, here is my selection of hot summer garments, courtesy of Deborah Linquist.
1) #VFB - Vintage tropical floral bustier, $687.
2) #BDL - Empire waistline long dress. Vintage sari fabric bodice embellished with semi-precious or crystal beads. English net and silk chiffon body with doubleface satin ribbon halter tie neck, $950.
3) #LDH1 - Vintage kimono and hemp/cotton bustier dress with semi-precious beading, $775.
4) #HBD - Hemp/cotton babydoll dress with raffia and organic cotton lace trim, $700.
5) #SSK1 - Hemp/cotton pleated mini-skirt with organic cotton lace trim, $200.